Personal and Professional Development

Monday, October 30, 2006

Learning Styles

In order to manage your learning effectively, you need to identify the ways in which you learn. You've already begun to do this in completing the Self-Evaluation pack and seeing where you are aligned on the Belbin Index. You now need to take this a stage further by investigating other methods of assessing learning styles.

The most famous of these is Honey and Mumford's learning styles questionnaire. Information on this is readily available online BUT to take the test can cost upwards of £10! We have a licence to administer the test in college and have some paper copies - I'll hand these out to you - but do recommend that you investigate what Honey and Mumford were doing before taking the test.

Other methods of identifying the way in which you work best can be found on www.vark-learn.com These tests are very quick and easy but all help to formulate an overall impression of you as a learner.

Write a short evaluation of what you found out through doing this - do you agree or disagree with what these tests tell you? How can you use what you have learnt from these results to change the way you work and maximise you potential?

Why not post some of your ideas here?

Thanks
Kerry

4 Comments:

Blogger AMPearce said...

http://ampearceuk.blogspot.com/2006/10/vark-questionnaire-results-your-scores.html

4:06 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Thanks for this Andy - I was clearly correct in my belief that you work very quickly!

I can't link to your blog from work - sorry. The Bloxx software that we use at LCT has decided to deny me access to any blog but my own! I'll get this ban lifted and comment properly later.

Thanks for this.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Hi Andy,

It's a useful site to assess your learning style and tends to be pretty accurate in the assessment. Clearly, you agree with what it said and can demonstrate this as your comment, I'll stop what I'm reading, play about with things for a bit to see how it works, then pick up the book again, and usually I can guess what's coming next. indicates

Thanks
Kerry

8:06 AM  
Blogger rs-senior said...

Hi Kerry

I visited the website www.vark-learn.com and have taken the Learning styles questionnaire; you can access my personal results at the following address http://www.vark-learn.com/english/results.asp

I strongly agree with the test result and i am pretty amazed with the result as it truely shows my learning styles. I will have to take onboard some of the points put across to maximise my full potentials for the next semester. It is a very good test and i recommend every student to take it. It will definately improve my impression as a student and i will closely follow the guidelines showed in my test results.

Regards
Roy

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home